Why hand made records?
Records are cool and by cool we don't mean a temporary fad. This musical format is so bad-ass it has survived since the 1800's. Records are real. We have nothing against technology but it's much easier to love a record than an MP3. Yeah it is a little more expensive per record than having a larger run pressed but these are limited editions and each one is unique. Your fans and clients need to know that, every record is a collectors item. The biggest factor in our pricing is our time. Each record is cut in real time. Also, you're probably reading this because you don't want 300 copies or you want something special for yourself, family, band mates, clients, guests and fans. We know, we're musicians too and we've been there.
Please get in touch, we want to help you make your project a reality.
Audio and timings
How long can my records be?
33 rpm is industry standard for 10" and 12", 45 rpm is the standard for 7". We recommend sticking with these standards.
At 33 rpm
7" Up to 6 minutes per side
10" Up to 14 minutes per side
12” Up to 22 minutes per side
At 45 rpm
7" Up to 5 minutes per side
10" Up to 12 minutes per side
12" Up to 15 minutes per side
What audio files do you need?
We can cut any audio file format from mp3's to 96k 24bit wav's. We recommend having your tunes mastered for vinyl but don't fret if they aren't, we can make it happen. Read about art and music submissions in details here.
Are your records literally hand cut?
Yep. All our records are made individually in real time so if your LP is 18 minutes a side that is how long it takes us to make it. We monitor each cut for quality.
What is the best vinyl ready master?
For your tunes to sound sweet on vinyl, certain considerations need to be kept in mind starting from the mixing process all the way to when we make the final cut. It is a little detailed to go into but basically there are a couple of physical limitations to vinyl records so with a little care everything will sound superb.
1) Keep things cool by making good mixes.
2) If you are using a mastering engineer (recommended though we can also prepare your tunes for vinyl) never limit or heavily compress your mixes before you send them. Let the mastering engineer do their job properly and bring your mixes to their final levels.
3) Do not mix high frequency stuff (e.g. hi-hats and cymbals) too loud. They will cause distortion and/or trigger the high frequency limiter in our signal chain.
4) Always centre bass frequencies. Drums, bass guitar and low synths need to be in the centre of the stereo image otherwise groove geometry can be problematic.
5) Watch out for vocal sibilance, use a de-esser if you need to.
6) Have a professional mastering engineer familiar with the vinyl medium master your tracks if you can. If not, we will help you out.
7) Especially if this is your first time mixing and/or mastering for vinyl, we recommend opting for a test pressing which you can email us about. This will give you an idea of how your mixes and masters will translate to vinyl. Ultimately we will do everything we can to help you get your tunes onto record!
But do really they sound like 'real' records?
Yes indeed, they are real records. Especially with tunes mastered for vinyl by us the sound quality is just like you'd expect from any record you buy that was made with care. Because each record is unique there will be minute variances from record to record but that is what is cool, each one is one of a kind.
What do the basic record packages come with?
Each record comes in it's own white paper inner sleeve, with 1-full colour white sticker labels on the disc and in a clear plastic record cover. We also send you a cool Royal Mint Records LP or 7" bag.
Can you provide covers, download codes, CD inserts and full colour sleeves etc?
Of course. One thing that we want to do is make sure your project not only sounds great but looks great too. Check out our gallery for some inspiration and to see what your project could look like. We can add limited/numbered edition artwork as well (eg 1/10). Your imagination is the limit.
Where can I get the artwork templates?
Read about that here.
Payment and Shipping
How long will my order take?
At the moment we are getting the records out within about 3-4 weeks. This fluctuates but we will always give you as accurate an estimate as we can at the time of your order. If you have a release coming up we recommend booking our time well in advance so we can help you meet your release scheduling. we can occasionally do an express job, just ask.
How can I pay?
You can pay by direct bank transfer, cards through the site and via paypal. We will give you options when you order. We don't pay PayPal fees so keep that in mind. You can also purchase records from us at the studio with cash or card by appointment. We require payment before we start on your project.
I have a business do I have to pay VAT in Europe?
Within Finland yes we have to collect VAT. Within the EU if you have a valid VAT number just let us know when you order. We will check it against the EU register and if it is cool we don't have to collect the VAT from you. If you're outside the EU we do not collect the VAT but you may be subject to local taxes. Check it out first if you aren't sure.
Do you ship to anywhere?
Within reason, yes! We work with DHL and have pretty speedy shipping. If you would like to collect in Helsinki, that's cool just let us know and we'll make an appointment for you when your records are ready to go.